From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 17:58:10 -0700
>My neighbor behind me has a shagbark hickory tree.
>Are the nuts from this tree edible raw?  If so, do I
>use the ones that have a green shell or should I wait
>until they turn brown?  I have a bazillion of these
>nuts in my backyard and would like to use them if
>possible (of course I will be fighting the squirrels
>for them).  Also a friend of mine has a black walnut
>tree and has offered me those.  Are they edible raw
>also?
i will be interested to get from you some hickories and black walnuts ,at
least for seed if you do n't have enough quantity. we could exchange for
walnuts or dry salmon or dry shrimp.
you have to wait for them to be ready to fall at least, when you see the
animals getting interested in them .,it is time. The husk should not be
sticking to the shell of the nut.
thank you
jean-claude