From:
Mary French <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 09:27:33 -0800
I am new to the list but have been a paleo-eater
for about a year and a half, with good success, although, like many others, I

find that it becomes expensive!  I have a few
questions, so that's why I'm joining the list.

I have two questions regarding an article  I
recently read dealing with PMS & nutrition, which recommeded reducing salt,

sugar, & animal fat, and increasing B6,
magnesium, fiber, and other fats to alleviate
premenstrual symptoms.  The author

indicated that PMS headaches, dizziness, &
fatigue are blood-sugar related, and anxiety,
moodiness and depression are related

to surplus estrogen.  I was especially interested
in what he had to say about 1) magnesium and 2) animal fat.

With regard to magnesium, he mentioned that the
RDA is too low, that magnesium consumption in the US has drastically dropped

in the past 35 years (why?), and that magnesium
consumption by women with PMS symptoms should be close to 1000mg.  I have read

in other sources that magnesium deficiency is
also a common cause/factor for post partum
depression.  What are natural (food)

sources of this mineral?  Should I consider a
supplement, or does a paleodiet naturally supply a higher level of magnesium?

What foods should I increase/ adjust?  With
regard to his comment on animal fat, he says that excess animal fat elevates

estrogen levels, causing symptoms.  I wondered if
this is not so much an issue of animal fat as imbalance of omega-3 to -6?

Because evening primrose oil and other omega-3
supplements are known to be helpful with female
hormonal problems.  Does anyone

have any info about this?

thanks,

Mary