From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 2011 22:23:51 -0400
Thanks for all the replies.

Elif, cool things happening in Scandinavia!

Geoff, I agree that a blanket endorsement of "moderate" grain intake
doesn't make a lot of sense. And I'm also pretty down on coffee. I
don't see how inflammation is mainly from cooking, though. There are
lots of people with low CRP (if that's a valid measure), and healthy
old-timers who eat nothing but cooked food. Jeanne Calment probably
ate cooked food for 122 years. After reading some of your links,
though, just now and last year, I no longer think AGEs don't get
absorbed from food. They clearly do. But the kidneys clear them to
some degree, if you're healthy. I think it could be a major issue for
diabetics and people with kidney disease. But I think inflammation
comes more from excess carbs, fructose, oxidised PUFA, excess body
fat, and others, rather than mainly from cooking.

Jim, yes, maybe it should say to minimize all grains as much as
possible. Actually, grains are in all three categories, "avoid"
"minimize" and "moderate.

Ron, I hope you find that celiac link.

It's hard to write guidelines like this, to know where to draw the
lines. If you want to benefit the greatest number of people, you have
to write something that most people can understand and be willing to
follow. I'm thinking of the 80/20 rule, where you follow the 20
percent of the ideas that give 80 percent of the possible benefits, or
something like that. Not many people are going to switch to eating raw
meat and eggs, raw chicken. But the way this is written is unclear on
grains/flour, and doesn't warn people about going overboard on the
fish oil, isn't too clear on the vegetable oils, and doesn't mention
dairy at all.