From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:57:05 -0500
From: "Todd Moody" > Frankly, the whole thing is, in the end, depressing.
It is just
> tiresome to have to maintain such a strict rejectionist attitude
> toward food, whether the plan is Neanderthin or Anchell.  As the
> years go by it is in one sense "easier" to do this, but in
> another way it is increasingly tedious.  This is why diets fail,
> of course.  The mental energy consumed by this unceasing dietary
> vigilance takes a toll.  When my vigilance flags, I gain weight.
>
> Todd Moody

Todd, I quite agree. Several reasons for this speaking personally

1. anything that puts me out of the mainstream is difficult. At dinner
parties, socially, whatever, just hard. Whenever the restaurant puts
particularly delicious looking bread out on the table when I am with others,
for instance.

2. lots of foods taste so good and add a lot to life experience. We have
learned to manufacture food that tastes really good but is bad for us, like
a tailor-made mood altering drug. I love Doritos nacho cheese for instance.
I wouldn't eat any but sometimes they are in the house...food like this
tastes really good (pick your poison, Ray has mentioned Haagen Dazs vanilla
ice cream as one of his I recall)

Bottom line: it makes life a battle of both stoic self-denial, unceasing
wondering (should I have just a piece? just a chip? etc.) and selective
caving in with resultant guilt feelings.

The alternative though is worse I think

--Richard