From:
R Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 12:04:45 -0500
<<But an observation:  I think that far more people are allergic to peanuts
than to the true nuts. Also, there is an addictive quality to peanuts and
peanut butter for many
people, I have observed>>

In addition, few people who eat peanuts actually eat raw peanuts.  Raw
peanuts surely contain some of the beneficial amino acids and
monounsaturated fatty acids as mentioned earlier.

But most store-bought peanuts (ignoring various 'dressings' like salt,
vegetable oil, or MSG for the moment) are cooked.  Cooking denatures the
beneficial oils and some of the other nutrients.  Denatured (heat processed)
oils can quickly turn from being "good" sources of essential fatty acids to
"bad" sources.

Lastly, peanuts are a legume as Todd points out (not a fungus as I stated
earlier - momentary brain disengagement).  But small amounts of fungus can
grow on peanuts, some of which can actually produce a toxin (aflotoxin).

Rob