From:
Sheryl Canter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:41:40 EST
Gluten intolerance is by no means the only--or even the main--cause of
inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitus).  Maddy
Mason's statement was simply incorrect.  The picture is far more complex.  I
don't have the time to go into all the details, but there are many other
issues--for example, imbalances in the intestinal flora (due to excess carb
consumption and/or antibiotics), immune system impairment, lactose
intolerance, etc.  There is also great individual variation.  For example, I
have a good friend with Crohn's who is okay if he doesn't consume milk or
apples (apple juice kills him).  When I'm active, I can't tolerate nuts.
Wheat doesn't trigger me at all--nor my friend with Crohns.  But excess carbs
of any kind can cause me problems--even "paleo" carbs like fruit.

Gluten intolerance is a particular condition, and the name of that condition
is Celiac Disease, not Crohn's Disease.

     - Sheryl (UC for 20 years)