Date:
Wed, 27 May 1998 23:09:33 -0500
The first time I read about a low-carbohydrate eating plan, I immediately
thought of my aunt.  She is 34 and has MS.  It all sounded so wonderful,
from the testimonials, to the whole ketogenic theory.  To me, it sounded
perfectly logical, even at my basic, non-scientific understanding of
things.  Ever since I learned about MS in school, my first thought was,
'if you are losing fatty neuron covering, then you want more proteins and
fats in your body.'

I know there's much more to it than that, but I am just trying to relay my
gut instincts.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I may introduce
her to this way of eating?  My world has been wonderfully turned upside
down by ketogenic diets.  I am hoping that she will see my easy
weightloss and inquire about the theory behind the eating plan.  But, I
am a 'niece-in-law' and my uncle keeps her VERY protected (sheltered)
mentally, emotionally, etc since her initial MS diagnosis, so she really
won't listen to me.

Her doctor has her on a nearly zero fat, zero red meat, and high
carbohydrate diet.  She has had horrible reactions to every medication
they have tried.  I am feeling urgent, as I know she is at the beginning
of her illness, and natural, carnivore eating can help her.  I keep
bringing it up, in a happy and concerned tone, at every holiday, but my
uncle scowls and she dosen't really pay attention.

What can I do?  Anonymously send her email and forward web pages to her
that detail ketogenic dieters who have MS?  Mysteriously drop off a copy
of NeanderThin, or something?  Every approach I take, discussing
ketolysis, fats, proteins, cavemen, myelin, anything, it's not working.
Perhaps I am not being blunt enough.  :( I am convinced this can save her
life. I have a conniption fit every time I hit on a paleonutrition page,
because it's a resource she currently won't avail herself of.

Although, she has never directly said no to, or laughed at, me.  She just
nods and smiles and goes on, like you would when a stranger wants to sell
you window cleaning gadgets outside of the local mall.

I am asking this question here, as MS support groups usually laugh at me
when I mention paleonutrition, or occasionally, any nutritional 'healing'
at all.  I'd love to know, what drew the MS people here to this specific
eating plan.  What emotions were there?  What was the 'hook'?  I need the
right hook to draw her in.  A deal clincher, to at least get her reading.

Thank you