From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 07:48:50 -0500
On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Lisa Sporleder wrote:

> I thought that nightshade plants were black-listed as a group
> because they are basically poisonous in the wild, and that it was
> only with domestication (agriculture) that the toxin level was
> reduced in the fruits/tubers to consumable levels.  I'm vaguely
> recalling something Ray said a long time ago on one of the lists (I
> don't think it was this one).  I think the post mainly described the
> domestication of potatoes to reduce the solanine in the tuber flesh,
> but talked about nightshade plants in general, too.

Tomatoes are explicitly listed among the "Do eat" foods on page
58.  It is also an ingredient in some of the recipes, such as
"Mom's Catsup" (p. 103) and, in the form of tomatos paste,
"Neanderthing Barbecue Sauce" (p. 104).  For that matter, green
and red peppers, also nightshades, are ingredients as well
("Venetian salad" for example).

> Ah well, so be it.  They are off *my* paleo list, which is all I need
> concern myself with.

Indeed.  Many people find that nightshades trigger migraine
headaches, and tomatoes are among the common triggers of
psoriasis outbreaks.

Todd Moody