From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 15:13:28 +0100
Todd Moody wrote on the rice and beans diet of his Grandma:
>I found that I just couldn't eat enough of
>the rice and beans, however, and gained weight quickly.  There
>was, however, one key difference between her diet and my
>emulation of it: She used to sprinkle brewer's yeast on her rice
>and beans at every meal.  I tried this but found it unpalatable.
>I have always wondered if the yeast was what made her un-paleo
>diet "work"...

I'm not astonished at all about the brewer's yeast.
In micronutrients it makes a *big* difference because of its
enormous b-vitamin content.
Anyone eating rice not whole (like you told she did)
will get into vitamin shortages (and gain weight then).

If eating white rice, protein is reduced like vitamins are.
The protein is easily brought in by the pulses and the vitamins
by brewers yeast, so it makes sense.

Brewers yeast is told to be much less allergenic as bakers yeast
because it contains less nuclein-acids - because
the bakers yeast multiplies so quick.
Bakers yeast consists of 30% cell kernels.

My sister uses a lot of brewers yeast powder just to *improve*
the taste of the food (salad), strange you didn't like it.

regards
Amadeus

--
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net