From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:15:37 -0500
On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Marianne Fuller wrote:

> >It seems that we sometimes hold the Masai as examples of the
> >benefits of paleo diet.  The following article,
> >http://www.laubach.org/WIL/Global/hellen.html, takes a different
> >view.
>
> In my opinion this article really leaps to some conclusions based on almost
> nothing. I don't see any research that proves the problems described are
> caused by eating meat.

You're right.  No research is cited.  These are *observations*
made by a person living among them.  I think the point is that
it's what they are *not* eating that is causing problems.

> Do they eat any fat at all?

Yes.

> Do they eat fruits and
> vegetables?

No.

> Are they really examples of paleo eaters?

Yes, according to some guidelines, such as Neanderthin.

> I bet the animals are
> really lean - isn't that a problem?

It would be, but I don't think it's *their* problem.

> And
> didn't I just read in another article that someone sent out that being
> nomadic is very stressful and shortens life

If children are dying of malnutrition, then I think there's a
dietary issue.  I don't know how accurate this article is, but I
wouldn't dismiss it first-hand observations.

Todd Moody