Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 18:15:10 -0400
Not too long ago, a list member asked why primitive non-agricultural peoples
adopt a modern diet (if their won diet and lifestyle is working for them).
It is not by choice. The biggest reason is pressures or coercison  by "white
man," including conversion to Christianity, removal and disconnection from
their land, and encroachment of civilization.  A graphic depiction of this
is found in a National Geographic film I rented from the library this past
weekend.  It was fantastic!!

It's called Giant Bears of Kodiak Island.  The scenerey is breathtaking; the
bears were magnificent; and my husband and I found a lot of paleo food for
thought.  It was tragic to see and learn about how the natives were attacked
by the white man, their homes were destroyed, they were converted to a
foreign religion, and they began shopping for the foods of commerce (canned,
bottled, boxed, and artificial foods that were not formerly a part of their
diets).  However, there was a ray of hope in the film.  Some people are
working to preserve the old ways and to protect the land from developers.
It is well worth watching---and shuddering at the Cambell's soup and milk
some of the natives were buying in the mercantile, and looking very
"agricultural" (fat!).  I cheered when I saw some natives eating and smoking
salmon, eating berries, and other native foods.

Btw:  The bears caught salmon with their bare paws!!!  Humans could do the
same with bare hands!  Bears just love rotten fish (whales in this
instance).  They rub their faces in it and look pretty ecstatic.  None of
them were rushed to the hospital for food poisoning.  Like eskimos, many
wild animals really like aged meats!  Interesting!

Rachel