Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 2009 12:50:16 -0600
From: "Robert Kesterson" <[log in to unmask]>

> On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 11:34:00 -0500, Jim Swayze
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> real paleos run naked
>
> in winter.
> >   Robert Kesterson

Ah, yes.  That reminds me of something that I ran across a few years ago.
There is a journal in the reference section of the public library here in
southern New Mexico, that was written in the 1800s by a white man visiting
the Mescalero Apache.  I can't remember if the man was in the military, but
I think he was.

He wrote in his journal how surprised he was at how superbly suited the men
were to their environment.  His visit took place during the winter, and
because Mescalero is on a mountain at high altitude, there was a lot of
snow.  Nonetheless, the Apache men were described by the writer as being
wirey -and well muscled, as they stood in the snow absolutely naked without
appearing to be cold.

The visual of that has stayed with me, because when we talk about evolution,
adaptation, and people being suited to their environment as hunter
gatherers, this seems a good example.  Needless to say, the diet in
Mescalero has changed very significantly since then, and the appearance and
health of the people has changed rather dramatically as well.

I attended a puberty ceremony a couple years ago with several hundred tribal
members and don't think that too many of them would have fared too well
living in a hut during winter - to say nothing of being comfortable outside
without clothes.

Kath