From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 23:50:48 -0400
Debra Kierstead wrote:

 >Can large amounts be done this way or is it best to do it only in  small
 >amounts.  I need to get the suet rendered as soon as possible- I have so
 >much it is taking up the bottom third of my fridge and I need the space!!

I do large amounts. Having a pot with a heavy bottom would be essential. My
largest, with a thick aluminum bottom, is 16 quarts. If only a thin
stainless steel bottom it's going to burn, stick, or whatever.

My biggest problem is straining it. I don't have a tall pot (I want an
11-12 quart tall stock pot) so when I use my chinois to strain I have to
hold it above the pot. Some use cheese cloth to strain. I never have.
Before I bought the chinois I used a very good strainer.

Don.