Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 15:34:50 -0500
Todd,

> But if the transition began well before agriculture, then that
> cause and effect hypothesis must be rejected.  That "something
> very dramatic" started happening long before agriculture

As I stated in my messge to which you were responding, the primitive cave
paintings to which you refer do not consitute a "great leap forward" in my
opinion. Likewise with primitive tools. Even apes use tools. And according
to that article we saw posted here yesterday, thirsty monkeys may use rocks
as weapon-tools for killing their enemies at the water hole. Primates can be
taught sign language, and even dolphins and whales are thought to possess a
remarkably sophisticated sound language.

By "great leap forward" I am referring to advancements like mathematics and
alphabets. These are abstractions of the mind that define modern humanity
and make our species unique on the planet.

-gts