From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 2009 20:30:24 +0100
I agree it's just 1 study, albeit a review of other studies, so it could easily be flawed in and of itself. That's the trouble, given false parameters/premises etc. , anyone can create a study with almost any wished-for result. Like all those obviously PR-led studies favouring chocolate-consumption etc. Still, I do find it interesting that there are thousands of studies  now done on the negative effects of heat-created toxins in cooked-foods, with some studies claiming no harm from such substances like the one below, but there are no studies at all implying a health-benefit for ingesting  these substances.

And, yes, it's irritating how they just damn all meat, in an implied pro-vegan way, instead of comparing grassfed to grainfed, raw meat to cooked meat etc. of course, there isn't likely to be a study on raw-meat-consumption any time soon, given all the hysteria re bacteria/parasites. But it would be a start. I get tired of reading various boffins' comments in science magazines etc. claiming, without any evidence, that "humans can't properly digest raw meats" or that " humans would die within weeks of eating raw meats" etc.

Geoff

> Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 12:45:06 -0600
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Eating Meat Does Not Raise Breast Cancer Risk in Older Women
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> In view of our recent discussions regarding raw versus cooked, I found the following of interest.  I have to be skeptical of
> anything that involves AARP, but the NIH and Albert Einstein College of Medicine must have some credibility.
>
> Because cooking meat at high temperatures is dangerous (IMO), I'm surprised that it is not reflected in this particular study.  The study involved a large number of women who were all postmenopausal and, as the study says, the results may/or may not have been different if they were tracking adolescent girls who ate a lot of cooked meat.  Or, for that matter, if they had been tracked longer. It's just one study, and it would have been interesting if they had followed women who ate organic pasture raised meats that had not been finished off in grain lots, versus the type of meat purchased from grocery stores filled with antibiotics and corn fed.  Also, the study looked for the connection between meat and breast cancer..... not cooked meat and any other type of cancer.
> Kath
>
> Eating Meat Does Not Raise Breast Cancer Risk in Older Women [Albert Einstein College of Medicine]
>
>   1.. May 28, 2009 - (BRONX, NY) - Eating red or white meat, including meat cooked at high temperatures, does not increase the risk of breast cancer in postmenopausal women, according to a large study conducted by researchers at Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University. The study was published this month in the International Journal of Cancer.
>   2..
>   3.. A number of previous studies have found that eating red meat or meat cooked at high temperatures increases the risk of breast cancer. (High temperatures - caused by grilling, barbecuing or pan-frying - produce high amounts of heterocyclic amines (HCAs) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in meat; HCAs and PAHs are mutagens (chemicals capable of causing mutations in DNA) that can cause breast tumors in laboratory animals.)
>   4..
>   5.. But a link between meat in the diet and breast cancer in women hasn't been established. "Previous epidemiologic studies in humans looking at the amount of meat in the diet and estimated intakes of HCAs and PAHs in relation to breast cancer risk have yielded inconsistent results," says lead author Geoffrey C. Kabat, Ph.D., M.S., senior epidemiologist in the department of epidemiology and population health at Einstein.
>   6..
> [...]

Share your photos with Windows Live Photos – Free.
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/134665338/direct/01/