Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:55:51 +1000
Although we have access to paleo 'like' food we don't live in a paleo world.
I can't imagine paleo man not eating anything processed or not that he had
free access to.

Although we now have an understanding of the relationship between health and
what we eat, our basic nature has not changed, nor has our response to the
sight, smell and accesability of palatable food.

There is no question that eating as paleo as possible is the most healthful
nutritious option. Unfortunately some people can become obsessed with food
when 100% adherence is expected. Self imposed rigidity often results in the
cycle of lapse, guilt and binge or relapse. For some people taking a more
relaxed attitude and accepting that it is appropriate to have a glass of
wine or some other minor diversion from ideal works better at making the
paleo way of eating more sustainable long term and preventing week long
binges or worse as a reaction to a feeling of deprived.

I recall that Ray Audette mentioned eating the occasional serve of icecream.
It depends on the idividual really and your level of motivation and or
obsession.

If a more relaxed approach works better in the long run then I feel you need
to look at the bigger picture in order to get the best outcome that you can
get.

Leonie