From:
Barry Adamski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 22:09:25 EST
>>> Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]> 02/27/99 09:05AM >>>
I'm interested in hearing from other list members:  Have you lost
weight eating paleo? >>>>>

I have lost over 55 pounds (prior to December 98 was 65lb) doing a Paleo
(actually more Atkinsish) style diet.  It was easy at first for me to lose but
then I stalled out.  I even tried R. Audette's suggestion of all meat and
nothing else from Thanksgiving through Christmas of last year only to gain 10
pounds (while in ketosis I might add).  I have gone absolutely bonkers with
this weight/fat loss thing.  Granted my body fat percentage has gotten
slightly better 33% to 31% during this weight gain but I still weigh 294 lbs
on a 5'10" frame.

What have I learned?
I added up my calories eaten from the month of February and added my calories
from the weight loss I did experience during this month.  It came suspiciously
close to where it is supposed to be via activity level/body weight charts.  In
other words, I needed to cut calories too.  I can not eat 4000 calories per
day and lose weight.  I gain on 4000 whether in ketosis or not.  If I average
under 2600 calories per day I lose about 6 lb per month.  I eat now eat lean
meat, vegetables, and nuts occasionally for a snack.  I never eat more than 40
grams of ECC (Carb g minus fiber g) per day

The point???:
While many are trying to tell you calories do not matter they sometimes still
do.
I have found the only significant short term benefit of ketosis to be a slight
suppression of my appetite.  Enough so I don't binge at night.

Other benefits:
On the positive side I no longer require blood pressure medication, insulin
injections and I sleep through the night most days.  I have enough energy to
compete in Tae Kwon Do and beat some of the lanky smaller people I spar with.
In short (hardly), I will never go back to eating high carb but am open to
various LC ideas.

Barry Adamski