Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 16:57:05 -0400
From:    Justin Hasselman said:
To save money, I buy the canned salmon at the store.  The ingredients are
salmon and salt (lots of salt, I can taste it).  Should I be concerned about
parasites and bacteria with canned salmon?  Because I am, I cook the salmon
in a skillet until it is well done.  Does this destroy the EPA and DHA?
Does heating Salmon oil turn a 'healing' fat into a 'killing' fat?

Canned salmon is already cooked, so I would not cook it again.  Parasites
shoudl not be a problem because the fish is cooked.  Btw:  Canned fish often
looks like a bargainm, but as I figured it out, canned tuna (from a health
food store, which is free of MSG, hydrolyzed veg. protein, and broth which
can contain MSG) can cost about $4 per pound.  A 6-oz. can of tuna in water,
yields only about 4+ ounces of drained fish.  So it turns out to be fairly
expensive. You may be able to find fresh salmon at close to that price in a
supermarket.  Just an idea!

Rachel