From:
Elizabeth Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 13:41:18 -0700
According to Mary Enig in Know Your Fats: "Shortening is the term used
to designate a fat in its anhydrous form (anhydrous means that it does
not contain any water) generally used for baking. Animal fats that are
shortening are lard and tallow. Most of the shortenings currently in
commercial use are partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oil or
partially hydrogenated canola oil. These shortenings are usually solid
in texture. There are also shortenings used for commercial frying called
liquid shortenings that are pourable" (p.269)

In Food Science shortening generally refers to what we call 'plastic
fat' -- the partially hydrogenated vegetable oils as in crisco. It is
still sold, used ubiquitously in commercial products and the major
source of harmful transfats. Technically margarine is not shortening.

If you want to see inside the edible oil industry see:
http://www.iseo.org/foodfats.htm Frightening stuff. Fats should be eaten
more or less in their natural state not processed.

Mary Enig and Sally Fallon have a good article on fats:
http://www.westonaprice.org/know_your_fats/skinny.html

--
http://shopnow.netscape.com/