From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 14:16:40 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:
 > What about walnuts?

I love walnuts (in fact, I love all nuts too much) but they contain
significant amounts of  Omega-6.  The only nut with virtually no Omega-6 is
the macadamia nut -- but, they do not contain as much Omega-3 as walnuts.
Since I believe I get more than sufficient Omega-3 from oily fish and
occasional fish oil supplements, I'm not so worried about getting any more
Omega-3.  I am concerned about too much Omega-6 (I know we need some -- but I
personally have not been persuaded by the arguments on this list that we need
to specifically supplement with flax, etc.).  Perhaps requirements for
various fatty acids are highly individualized.  I suppose I could try to
limit myself to no more than 1-2 ounces of various nuts per day -- I'll think
about it.  For me, it's easier to not eat certain foods at all then to try to
limit them.  Nuts for me are like potato chips to some people -- can't eat
just one... or one thousand!