From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 15:42:35 -0600
> Yes. And this isn't the first time I have gotten spam, apparently from
> a list member.

Please don't jump to that conclusion. There are probably a dozen ways that
our email addresses could be retrieved by a spammer. None of us are truly
safe.

Not long ago I performed a test. I created a new Hotmail account, and sent
*one* message to a computer users group list - similar to posting here, but
a list with much higher traffic. After a couple of months went by I checked
the Hotmail account, and was astounded how much junk mail had been
collected - all from a single post.

Unfortunately, there is really nothing we can do about it except change
email addresses - because anyone who did receive that spam is now very
likely on a circulated list. My suggestion is to delete obvious spam
without even opening it, and *do not* reply to any of it with "remove" or
"unsubscribe". Many times they are just fishing for active accounts, and if
there's *any* kind of response you're out-o-luck.