From:
"tray.b" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2008 10:02:26 -0400
Paleogal wrote:

>My point is this, these runners are outside in fresh air, doing a circuit
>training. They're not running as we do.  There are numerous people out
>running on the street with the traffic and air pollutants or on a treadmill

>in the gym.  Most don't have nature trails on which to run, no rivers to
>cross, or hills/mountains to scramble up.

They're also not doing long, steady-state running but more like interval
training, with varying levels of exertion depending on terrain. Sounds fun!
(I hate jogging, but love doing sprints)

As an aside, I spent a week last summer in DC with a friend of mine,
shooting a documentary. Choking humidity, lots of hills (we were on a Uni
campus, very hilly), lots of equipment to lug around. She is lean and a
runner, clocking at least 5 miles a day. I was doing intermittent weight
training, about 2 days a week, with some sprinting in there when I felt like
it. She was exhausted. I felt like I could walk all day long!  She's not a
SAD eater, but not low carb at all (though wheat and dairy-free due to
intolerances), so I figure that played a big part, as she was constantly
hungry as well. Anyway.

Tracy