From:
Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2012 11:14:09 -0500
I listened again, and it does appear that he meant that Bambara groundnut can be eaten either raw or boiled:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW_re4Lgx1g
1:23 "It has less oil than peanut does, but it has higher protein. So it's used in a number of ways. It's quite often actually taken before it's fully mature and eaten raw, after boiling, or it's potentially converted into things like roast peanuts, effectively. It's used as a weaning milk in some countries and more recently it's been used experimentally ... as a partial flour replacement."

Plus, I found confirmation that it is eaten raw at times in Africa:

Bambara Groundnut
... a Link from the Past and Resource for the Future
http://forest.mtu.edu/pcforestry/resources/studentprojects/jon/Groundnuts.html
"Harvesting the Bambara Groundnut is similar to the peanut. The plant is pulled from the soil exposing the nut which grows beneath the ground. The nuts are then pulled off the plant, dried and stored or eaten raw."