From:
Charles Alban <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 14:54:36 EST
Well ,Todd, what do you think?

Do you think milk proteins are implicated in CHD?  He mentions a possible
mechanism -- can you quote that?  Proteins just get broken down and
reassembled, don't they? Atkins' insulin explanation seems the most plausible
to me, which would have nothing to do with proteins.

Surely the high sugar correlation with CHD suggests that it is the lactose in
milk which is the culprit. Wouldn't the lactose correlate just the same as
the proteins? When he says he corrected for sugar, that wasn't milk sugar.
Cheese does not contain lactose, hence its low correlation. (Neither does
butter, or yogurt, (I think).)  Milk contains about half as much sugar as a
soft drink. (16 grams per 8oz.serving, and it's the same whether its whole,
low fat, or non-fat). Seeley did mention a British doctor who was of the
opinion that the lactose was the cause.

Incidentally, if fat is what triggers the satiation response, then low fat
products, be it milk or anything else, must have the perverse effect of
causing an increase in carbo consumption. This is presumably what is
happening to the American population, where there evidently has been a slight
reduction in fat consumption, but there is a very obvious increase in obesity.

Being a cynic, I believe the food manufacturers know this very well.

My feeling from reading Seeley is that he was expecting to find fat
consumption as the cause of dietary disease, and was surprised by his own
results showing sugar and milk as the main causes.

Charles