From:
Sheryl Canter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 06:57:30 EST
Wally Ballou wrote:
> before starting LC [obesity, migraines, etc. <snipped>]

I agree that low carb is better!  I also have seen many improvements in my
health since reducing my carbohydrate intake--most notably, my colitus is in
complete remission, and my blood sugar is rock solid.

I was trying to make a distinction between a "lower" carb diet (80-150 grams
of carb per day) compared to the American average of 300-400 grams per day,
and a very low carb diet that puts you into ketosis--under 30 grams per day.
People have a tendency to think that if less is good, then none (or almost
none) is even better, and I don't think this is true.

> [Is seritonin released] in the presence of carbohydrates, or in the
presence of glucose?  The distinction is vital to this debate...

I can't remember the exact mechanism and I don't have the book with me (I'm
traveling) so I can't check.  It may have had to do with the release of
glucose.  As I recall, when you eat a VERY low carb (versus low carb) diet,
you don't have adequate release of seritonin in the brain, and thus symptoms
and cravings can result.

Most people find it very difficult to stick to a very low carb (under 30
grams per day) diet.  It can cause a precipitous drop in blood pressure,
constipation, lack of energy, and depression--not to mention cravings that
are coming from body wisdom (as opposed to addictive cravings).  Atkins even
documents this in his "Diet Revolution" book, and says that not everyone can
tolerate this low an amount of carbohydrate.  (I cannot--I barely can move on
a very low carb diet.)  The Atkins "induction diet" (the less than 30 carb
diet) is only meant for the first two weeks.

And again, I want to emphasize that there are individual differences.  A very
active (athletic) person will need more carbohydrates than a sedentary one,
and there are inborn differences as well.  We don't all thrive on the same
diet!

     - Sheryl