From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2007 22:03:38 +0100
http://www.allexperts.com/

>Date:    Sun, 10 Jun 2007 08:41:25 -0500
>From:    "Kristina K. Carlton" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Fish
>
>Hi All,
>
>I just found out that I am intolerant to chicken, beef, and pork. I need to
>avoid these foods for at least 12 weeks and am looking at different protein
>options. I tested ok for venison, duck, goose, and ostrich and also various
>fish. With fish I am concerned about mercury or other harmful substances
>used on farm raised fish. Which fish would be safe to eat?
>
>Thanks,
>Kristina

There've been a number of scientific studies done on the issue of mercury in
fish. The most reliable, and longest-running one, the Seychelles study,
confirmed that there are no effects whatsoever, no matter how small, for
people who ate 10 times as much fish/shellfish per week as the average
American. Here's a website re this study, along with another website which
points out quite a few  of the inconsistencies behind the mercury claims:-

http://tinyurl.com/2orch2

http://www.fishscam.com/

Whatever the case, even those behind the mercury-claims usually state that
it's OK to eat the smaller fish at the bottom of the food-chain, as they are
claimed to have lower mercury-levels.

In the case of farmed fish, I've found out that the US has fewer rules and
restrictions than European countries . For example, the chemical
canthaxanthin is regularly used in the US to give farmed salmon  the same
colour as wild-caught salmon  - this is because wild-caught salmon eat
shrimp etc, to get their natural pink-red colour, whereas farmed salmon are
fed all sorts of muck so that their flesh  has a sickly grey colour, without
that extra chemical-dye. The UK has banned canthaxanthin, in the case of
organic-farmed fish,  because of its suspected cancer-causing properties
etc., but nonorganic farmed salmon can still have the chemical added to it.

I gather that the US  doesn't have an official organic category for farmed
fish, as yet, so best to just buy wild-caught fish. Farmed shellfish is
another matter- from what I understand, it's mostly a lot healthier than the
equiavlent farmed fish - there have been some serious health concerns re the
shrimp/prawn-farming  industry, but that's all I've heard.

Geoff

The next generation of Hotmail is here! http://www.newhotmail.co.uk/