From:
Adam Sroka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jul 2005 19:21:43 -0400
My statement wasn't a personal attack.

People who don't have migraines will sometimes call a really bad
headache a "migraine." If the same person ever really has a migraine,
they will surely say, "oh." (Actually, that is not the word they will
use, but you know what I am saying ;-)

If you are a "migraine sufferer" then, depending on the severity, almost
anything can cause one. If you are not a migraine sufferer, then:

1) any kind of alcohol can give you a "really bad headache" that would
not be called a migraine by someone who actually knew what they were
talking about. Despite this headache being really bad, it is a pansy
headache by migraine standards.

2) methanol can give you a real doosie of a headache. This is a headache
that migraine sufferers can respect, although it is not a true
"migraine" in any clinical sense.

All of this was implied in my earlier post, but now it is painfully
clear :-p

Additionally, alcohol use could be related to migraine symptoms,
hypothetically, since alcohol affects the behavior of blood vessels
systemically, and several of the theories of migraine pathophysiology
(There is no one accepted answer, which is why they are so difficult to
treat) are also related to blood vessel behavior (e.g.
constriction/dialation). BTW, food also affects blood vessel
constriction/dialation, and carbs particularly so (Since they are the
quickest to enter the bloodstream). Missing a meal and "certain foods"
(Although this has never been enumerated generally) are recognized as
precipitating factors in many true migraines.