From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 15:35:02 -0700
On Tue, 4 Jun 2002 09:12:00 -0500, Paleogal <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Okay, I'm being lazy here, my book is at the other end of the house, does
>Cordain give an "ideal" ratio in fats.  ie, satfat/monofat/poly.  I'm
>setting up my dietpower in preparation to tweaking my intake.  Oliva

I can safely say that there is no ideal ratio between saturated, mono,
and poly fats.

The reason is because the situation is more complicated than that.
Just to start with, all government and health organization
pronouncements about fats have been (and undoubtedly continue to be)
influenced heavily by lobbyists.   And:

- Generally, mono is acknowledged to be harmless, and the only danger of
excess is consuming too much food.
- Saturated fat is "controversial".   There is a lot of false and poor
research out there concerning saturated fat.
- Some poly fats are generally harmful (omega-6 fats) and some poly fats
are almost always helpful (omega-3 fats).

Most of the omega-6 fats are non-paleo, as well as virtually all
"frankenfats".

So, you should be okay with a normal Paleo diet, especially if you eat
oily cold-water fish regularly.

--
Cheers,

Ken