From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 16:14:50 -0700
On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 17:58:07 -0400, nervegas
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>on 14/09/00 17:48, Ken Stuart at [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
>> Previously you stated:
>>
>> "  I just wish for better muscle definition and to be in shape
>> enough not to huff and puff after a long flight of stairs."
>>
>> If your aerobics and strength training did not give you better muscle
>> definition
>> and the ability to climb a long flight of stairs, then you are not doing your
>> exercise correctly.
>
>I did show improvement, nothing amazing.
>
>I did aerobics (30-45 minutes of stair climbing) + mostly lower body
>machines routine, 3 times/week. I was counseled by someone who knows her
>stuff.
>Maybe my calories were too high in that period (maybe 100-200 extra?), but
>nothing that justifies a month long stall AND a steady weight gain of 1
>pound/week.
>
>Funny how it is always assumed that people are doing something wrong,
>instead of questioning dogma.

Hardly an hour goes by on this mailing list without dogma being
questioned.

The only dogma invoked here is that if you exercise regularly, you
will improve
your physical condition  (I'm talking here and in the previous message
about
physical fitness, not weight loss).

If that doesn't happen, then:

- Too much or too little exercise or wrong exercises.

or

- Insufficient protein (or insufficient calories, forcing protein to
be used as
fuel) to build muscle tissue.

or

- Some sort of metabolic disfunction (not unusual these days where
people spend
decades eating artificial foods).

--
Cheers,