From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:46:15 -0600

> Ron, I'm not Marilyn but I have been reading cancer research
> (limited mostly to breast cancer) almost daily for over seven
> years and I cannot recall any legitimate abstracts re. the
> dangers of consuming fat.  When one filters out the
> "research" funded by various companies or vegan, vegetarian,
> PETA, etc.
> organizations, the only valid research I've seen pertain to
> the dangers of fat are those studies concerned w/ "fat"
> people...not the fat one consumes.
> And that sure doesn't include us !   That is not to say that
> such legit
> research doesn't exist re. other types of cancer.
>
> Kath

Hi Kath,
Thanks for your response. I am aware that obesity is connected to cancer
risk, but I have not yet seen any credible data that support the claim that
fat consumption is related to cancer risk. I've read lots of rhetoric, many
studies that combine dairy and fat consumption, and several studies that
indicate that low fat diets do not protect against major disease (1, 2).  I
have seen a few claims that fat consumption may actually protect against
cancer risk (3).

I eat fairly large quantities of fats while avoiding trans fats. I do so
because I believe they are healthful, but I'm open to being educated on this
issue.

With specific reference to breast cancer, I have seen many studies that show
an increased risk and dairy consumption. There is also a mildly increased
risk of breast cancer among first degree relatives of celiac patients, both
of which combine to suggest that a permeable intestine may be a risk factor.

Best Wishes,
Ron

Sources:
1. McCullough ML, Feskanich D, Stampfer MJ, Rosner BA, Hu FB, Hunter DJ,
Variyam JN, Colditz GA, Willett WC   Adherence to the Dietary Guidelines for
Americans and risk of major chronic disease in women.  Am J Clin Nutr. 2000
Nov;72(5):1214-22.
2. Beresford SA, Johnson KC, Ritenbaugh C, Lasser NL, Snetselaar LG, Black
HR, Anderson GL, Assaf AR, Bassford T, Bowen D, Brunner RL, Brzyski RG, Caan
B, Chlebowski RT, Gass M, Harrigan RC, Hays J, Heber D, Heiss G, Hendrix SL,
Howard BV, Hsia J, Hubbell FA, Jackson RD, Kotchen JM, Kuller LH, LaCroix
AZ, Lane DS, Langer RD, Lewis CE, Manson JE, Margolis KL, Mossavar-Rahmani
Y, Ockene JK, Parker LM, Perri MG, Phillips L, Prentice RL, Robbins J,
Rossouw JE, Sarto GE, Stefanick ML, Van Horn L, Vitolins MZ, Wactawski-Wende
J, Wallace RB, Whitlock E.  Low-fat dietary pattern and risk of colorectal
cancer: the Women's Health Initiative Randomized Controlled Dietary
Modification Trial.
JAMA. 2006 Feb 8;295(6):643-54.
3. _The Cholesterol Myths_ by Uffe Ravnskov - I don't have the book handy to
provide the ISBN etc.