Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:33:13 +0900
Todd Moody wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Tom wrote:
>
> > http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases\1998\10\981026064209.htm
> >
> > Kind of interesting. Funny comment about modern day
> > vegetarians at the end.
>
> It's also pretty remarkable that the Ice Man, neolithic or not,
> would have been a vegetarian.

Not so surprising, remember Sampson, from the Bible, was
veg, and he lived in a similar environment. I suspect that
neolithic, and paleo as well for that matter, had religions
just as complex as we see in historic times. Vegetarianism
could be a marker of religios belief, as it is in many religions.

But...he was wearing clothing made from the skins of half a
dozen different animals, and carrying a powerful bow and
arrows, hardly suggesting an animal-free lifestyle. I have
also read in other places that this hair analysis has been
disputed by other scientists, including the gut analysis
which found meat. So it is really all still up in the air.