From:
"Day, Wally" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 2009 15:00:45 -0600
> There is no such thing as a simple caloric calculus despite what the experts tell you.

OK, so let's use a different term instead. How about food energy (calories being just a measurement of such).

The concept that the metabolic processes that convert food into energy (measured by calories :) is quite variable - is absolutely true. It is a complex system. But, that does not mean calories - oops, I mean food energy requirements and usage - can be ignored and discounted in all cases.

>and the types of exercise that burn a lot of calories make one really, really hungry.  If you are exercising to burn calories, you are all but wasting your time.  The way to lose weight is to control what you eat.

Last summer (approximately June through October) I pedaled my bicycle to and from work every time I went to my office - generally 4 days per week. The distance was 6 to 8 miles each way, The distance and amount of time varied depending on which route variation I took, but in general I was on the bike for hour or more each day. I calculate that between the bike, and my normal increased activity level during the summer months (more walking, hiking, gardening, etc), I was burning as much as an extra 1000 calories per day.

The fat simply poured off me as if it were sweat. Although I noted an increase in appetite early on, my appetite returned to "normal" within just a couple weeks. So, hunger did not cause me to increase my food intake. I was not "dieting" during this time, and I was not consciously trying to "lose weight". By September I actually started to worry about my bodyweight dropping too low, and I had to make a conscious effort to increase my food intake.