From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 07:12:36 -0400
On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Paul Sand wrote:

> I think you're talking to me so:
> I'm at 8% of body fat at the moment. I eat a lot 3500 - 5000 cal a day.

How frequently do you exercise?

> 2. Starchy staff (potatoes, starchy veggies) work best for me. I cannot
> stand fruits except small amounts (half an apple every few days)

The starchy stuff replenishes your glycogen stores.  The fructose
in fruit doesn't, although there is glucose in fruit as well.

> 3. I think lowering my fat intake (below 75%)  and upping protein resulted
> in drastic body fat loss. I lost my middle body fat without decrease in
> bodyweight.

This seems to be what Philip Thrift did as well.

> I prefer to stay within 50-75% of calories from fat and below 5% from carbs,
> rest - protein. I also vary my cal intake on a daily basis.

Note, however, that at your caloric levels this means 175-250g of
carb per day.  This is enough to cover your basic glucose
requirements (150-180g/day) plus extra demands of exercise,
without resorting to gluconeogenesis.

> But... it works for me and it took me a while to figure it out but it may
> completely not work for you. IMO 1400 cals is too low. Being on a very high
> fat diet my calorie intake was lower (around 2500 cals) and I was gaining
> weight.

That's interesting.  I wonder why.

> Your other health problems may interfere with your weight loss.I
> also read (any researches?) than women need more carbs than man.

It could be this: The basic glucose requirement is about the same
for men and women, but since women in general burn fewer calories
in a day, the percentage of them from carbs is greater.

Todd Moody