From:
Adam Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 15:16:31 +1100
Erik Hill wrote:

>Now, the instructions that came with the gun
>suggest putting in this "cure" packet, which is, basically salt.  That's
>not paleo, so I wonder, will it work without it?

Works fine without it. I mix in some garlic powder and other herbs to taste.

>Also, it suggests that the dehydrator go up to 160 degrees.

I dehydrate at 55 Celsius which equates to 131 F and dehydrate for around
seven and a half hours.

>How long will this stuff keep if I don't add the salt?

Mine keeps at least three weeks at room temperature which is how long it has
taken me to eat it. I don't know how long it would last but apparently if it
is kept in the fridge it will keep for longer.

>Any recommendations on a specific brand of dehydrator that's worked out
>for you?

I use the Fowlers Vacola.