From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 10:36:42 -0500
Ro wrote:
> I'm somewhat concerned over
> calcium, since I'm not eating tons of dark leafies on a regular basis
(once
> a week or so, more often for spinach, which I've heard can bind
> calcium).  Do most on this diet take calcium supplementation, or do
> you...um...eat bones?

I eat sardines about once or twice per week.

Bone broth is good, and I occasionally make it and eat it (not as much as I
used to, having grown lazy on this point however.)

I eat leafy greens (chard, kale, collards) 2 or 3 times per week.

I do supplement as follows:
I have started taking Carlson's cod liver oil which has a lot of vitamin D
in it, and I take a hydroxyapatite calcium supplement when I take the cod
liver oil. I separately take magnesium citrate (with a different meal) with
vitamin B6. I take C, B complex and E anyway. You need D with calcium and B6
with magnesium, and you need a full B complex to balance things out.

I don't think that the lack of calcium is a real problem but I don't have
evidence about this. I think it has been established though that by not
consuming dairy products you are less likely to secrete as much calcium.

Dental problems are a good sign of calcium deficiency -- if you visit the
dentist regularly you can ask your dentist. Many periodontal problems are
really problems in the bone. I have excellent dental health and don't appear
to be experiencing any bone loss.

My dentist is an Atkins adherent and he said something interesting though:
he said he gets more plaque on his teeth since he started on Atkins.

--Richard