From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 18:19:11 MDT
Hi, Valerie!

>I have learned that I have to eat a diet that is low tyramine,
>low acid, and bland.  That means I can't eat yadda yadda yadda.

First off, consider the source.  Sorry, but our fine medical friends are the
same ones who think a diet rich in foriegn proteins and enough carbs to feed
an army is GOOD for you.  Puh-leeze!

Perhaps more impartantly, look at all you CAN eat!  Meat, veggies, fat,
nuts, fruit... it's a feast!

>I would
>like to follow Ray's menus, especially in the first few weeks when cravings
>are bad.

When it comes to cravings, the best thing you can do is get rid of the
forbidden foods.  And if *I* can kiss cravings goodbye, anybody can do it.
Believe me, the cravings WILL go away and only in a few days.  The yes/no
rules are all the structure you'll need to get started.

>When I was first diagnosed, I used to live on fruit.  Probably too much.

Yeah, probably.  Another post on fruit and sugar is correct.  I don't have
what you do and several fruits irritate my tongue.  Fruits aren't forbidden,
but for many they're best if eaten only as an occasional treat.

>I retreated into a terrible diet of processed foods and dense
>carbohydrates.
>I was terribly depressed

Girlfriend, been there, done that!  I noticed major changes in my mental
health after eliminating high-carb foods from my diet, even more
improvements after going from traditional low-carb to paleo.  Example; a
week ago my clutch went kablooey right in the middle of a major
intersection, something that would've made me go BALLISTIC in the old days.
The only thought that went through my brain was "Shucks."  It cost me $225
to fix it and it didn't even ruffle my feathers!  Get ready to see the whole
world in a new light.

>Does anyone else eat a paleodiet successfully with some or all of the same
>restrictions I have?

I'm posting this message publicly to let you and others know that this diet
will work wonders no matter what the critics tell you.  Feel free to write
me privately if you like.  We all support you and can't wait to hear about
your success.

Dori Zook
Denver, COc