From:
Sheryl Canter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 07:22:20 EST

Wally Ballou wrote:
> And what constitutes "adequate" carbohydrates...   a natural paleolithic
> diet, devoid of starches and grains, with only NATURAL seasonal fruits
> (not the hybrid sugar bombs that pass for modern fruit), or piles of
> sugar frosted flakes, loaves of puffy white bread, and gallons of
> Coca-Cola?

Again, note I am making a distinction between VERY low carb diets (under 30
grams per day) and low carb diets (80-150 grams per day versus the SAD
average of 300-400 grams per day).  Low carb diets are healthy and good for
you--children, too.  On VERY low carb diets--ketosis inducing diets of under
30 grams of carbohydrate per day--children will fail to grow normally.  This
was the problem they had years ago in treating celiac children.  They didn't
realize at first that the problem was wheat gluten, so they eliminated all
carbohydrates.  This cured their bowel problems, but they also stopped
growing and sometimes died (if very young).

What constitutes adequate carbohydrates differs from person to person and
depends on age, body weight, and subtle constitutional factors too numerous
and complex to name.  You can get all the carbohydrates you need on a paleo
diet by eating fruit, root vegetables, and winter squash.  No, you don't need
"piles of
sugar frosted flakes, loaves of puffy white bread, and gallons of Coca-Cola".
 We all know those are empty calories.

I'll say it again--I'm making a distinction between a VERY low carb diet of
under 30 grams per day that puts you into ketosis, and a LOWER carb diet of
80-150 grams per day.  A VERY low carb diet stresses the body, and children
will "fail to thrive" on it.  A LOWER carb diet (which it's my guess that you
are on) will cure a variety of physical ailments and is a much healthier way
to live.

Wally--how many grams of carbohydrates per day do you eat?  I'll bet you're
on a "lower" carb diet (80-150 grams), rather than a very low carb diet
(under 30 grams).  These are very different.  Please note the distinction I'm
making.  The subject of this thread is "very low carb diets".

     - Sheryl