Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 2009 21:48:11 -0400
Robert Kesterson wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 16:09:40 -0500, Day, Wally <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>>
>>> Nonetheless, the Apache men were described by the writer as being
>>>  wirey -and well muscled, as they stood in the snow absolutely
>>> naked without appearing to be cold.
>>
>> A couple (few?) years ago there was a documentary ...While the host
>>  and crew all had heavy parkas and mittens on - and appreared to be
>>  freezing their butts off  - the "natives" wore lighweight sweaters
>> and nothing on their hands. It was explained that the herders' had
>> adapted to their environment by doubling (or even tripling) the
>> number of capillaries in their hands/arms. Better bloodflow, more
>> transferred internal heat.
>
> Are such adaptations genetic or environmental?  If the people in the
>  crew lived there, and tried to dress like the native as much as
> possible, would they too develop this adaptation after some number of
>  seasons?

It is environmental, and adaptation takes weeks.
Familiar to those of use who have done time in Arctic Canada is the
experience of getting off the 'plane from the stinky south into the late
January breeze and instantly getting the feeling of eating too much ice
cream too quickly, except it's on the forehead exposed to the wind.
Gone in two weeks, never to reappear until next winter.

I used to have a photo of myself taken in Feb. on one of the Arctic
islands, wearing nothing but a short tight swimming shorts, army mukluks
and earmuffs. Holding an ice chisel in throwing position and pretending
to be a hunter. Temperature would have been ~-25F.
The trick is that if wind is not blowing and you have bathed same day,
the short fine body hair we all have is all we need to stay warm in
sunlight. The ear in the shadow got cold quickly, not enough hair, I guess.

I ate a lot of fat pork.

William