From:
Bill Wilcox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:19:20 -0500
Bill Wilcox wrote:
> Katie Meyer wrote:
>> Hello to ALL!
>>
>> Thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Katie. I'm new to the Paleo
>> way. I started this with a lot of difficulty in June 2008. I was
>> falling off the wagon on occasion, but stayed on it long enough to
>> see a nice difference in the way I was feeling. I've always been such
>> a junk food fanatic. I'm not overweight, but I have Arthritis
>> everywhere in my body. I was experiencing a lot of pain, enough to
>> stop me from doing an activity that had become a passion for me. I
>> run dog Agility. I had to give it up for several months due the pain.
>> Funny, my dog's breeder actually suggested that I give Paleo a
>> chance. She started it 16 years ago mainly for weight loss, but
>> discovered many more benefits as a result. It's totally changed her
>> life. With that testimonial, I had to try it, too.
>> By November 2008 I was feeling SOoooo much better that I got
>> careless. The holidays were upon us. I suppose I thought, "I'm fixed!
>> I can go back to the grains, and sugar that I had given up." HA!!! I
>> was wrong. It wasn't immediate, but the pain was definitely
>> returning, and my mind was fogged over, too. My energy was dropping,
>> etc., etc. I doubt I'll ever be totally pain free, but this way of
>> eating is a big plus in reducing it.
>>
>> SOoooo, I'm back and decided to find a group, like this one.
>> Sometimes there are questions, and newcomers especially need that
>> occasional "kick in the pants."  I've only been back for just over a
>> week, but feel so much more committed than before. I'm a young 64,
>> and want to keep as active as I can. Besides running Agility courses,
>> I bicycle, work out, and am always on the run. I know Paleo has to
>> become my way of eating for life, if I want to feel my best. I just
>> have to say, "no" to the foods that stand in my way.
>> I have been eating meats of all sorts. My favorites are chicken, and
>> a good rare steak. I have green veggies, fruits (like berries &
>> melon), nuts, cheese, eggs (actually more Egg Beaters ... that's
>> probably a big no no. Please share your reasons, if you agree with
>> that.)  I do have coffee with real cream in the morning. I know,
>> that's not Paleo either. Perhaps I'll drop some of these things that
>> aren't, in time.
>> If any of you have good tips to share, I'm all ears. Thanks!!
>> Sincerely, Katie
>>   ----- Original Message -----   From: Kim
>> Kline<mailto:[log in to unmask]>   To:
>> Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:45 PM
>>   Subject: Re: Metabolic and physiologic improvements from
>> consum...[Eur J Clin Nutr. 2009] - PubMed Result
>>

>>   Well, for one, I have diabetes and am unmedicated and I want to
>> keep it that
>>   way.  I don't really like vegetables.  According to Bernstein's book
>>   regarding diabetes, fruits are out.  I find this really easy for
>> me, I feel
>>   really good so far, my blood pressure and sugar levels are down.  I
> [...]
I must add one more thing.  Do not drink ANY sweet tasting drinks.  Even
though Coke Zero, etc. contain no sugar, calories, etc. they taste sweet
which causes an insulin response which makes you crave cabohydrates.
It's not an easy thing to do.  I gave up soft drinks in 1994, or
thereabouts.  I only drink un-sweet tea, black coffee, and water.