From:
Reese Coppage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 2004 06:18:18 EDT
To circle this back to the topic of humans and evolution...

 Language evolves. If it didn't, we'd still be speaking proto Indo European
(of which only scant direct remnants still exist in English; consider our
pronoun system and words like "werewolf," "were" going back to the PIE "wir" which
is the reconstructed word for "man"). Which accent is right? Which dialect?
Which language? Really, it's a moot point. We can argue prescriptive grammar
(and pronunciation) all day and language will still evolve. If we say things
differently, it is merely evidence that the process is carrying on as it always
has.

Cheers,

Reese

Reese