From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2008 17:53:45 -0400
Well, there is a good reason why plants would have been less likely to have
been eaten, given that there was no agriculture, so there would have been no
mass-cultivated fruit-trees etc., plus in many areas of the world, hominids
would have been unable to find certain fruits at frequent times(eg:- winter,
near the glaciers/deserts etc.), since fruits generally appear seasonally. And
since meats are more nutrient-dense than plants, it makes sense for hunter-
gatherers to depend mainly on meats, as a result.

The point re tubers was that they were not a nutrient-rich food, as evidenced
by the number of African countries suffering from malnutrition who depend on
it to a large extent. I certainly don't deny that tubers or roots or whatever
would ahve been eaten as emergency-rations or temporary famine-relief etc.

Also, the definition of a Palaeolithic diet is not simply any food that was
consumed during  the Palaeolithic. That's obvious - after all the Palaeolithic
actually started c.2.5/2.6 million years ago, according to official designation,
which was a time  well before hominids went in exclusively for meat when
hominids still ate huge amounts of plants. Since no genuine palaeolithic diet
I've ever heard of is mainly vegetarian in character(the various definitions
always suggest a paleolithic diet of  anywhere between 65% to 100% animal-
food, one can't obviously say absolutely everything eaten in that era was
what we should eat.

Re cooking:- The trouble with cooking is that it can lower antinutrients making
foods, otherwise inedible edible, but, at the same time, it lowers nutrient-
levels of substances such as vitamins, as well as lowering  bioavailability re
introducing AGEs(advanced glycation endproducts) and similiar toxic
substances such as HCAs( Heterocyclic amines) etc. etc., eg:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_glycation_endproduct

However, that's beside the point.The actual  definition of a nature-based
Palaeolithic Diet is a diet which doesn't use technology or where foods are only
eaten which are edible raw, which is the interpretation that  Ray Audette and
many others have  made:-

"My definition of nature," he says, "is the absence of technology… I eat only
those foods that would be available to me if I were naked of all technology
save that of a convenient sharp stick or stone." The trouble  with this term,
while very accurate in describing what is commonly accepted as a palaeolithic
diet,  is that it logically forbids the use of cooking, as cooking is , of course, a
highly technological process.  In other words, once you introduce fire, you are
dealing with an unnatural diet which is not free of technology.

Plus, of course, given that cooked-food is such a radically different food from
any other type of (raw) food, it's unlikely that humans could ever fully adapt
to it, in the way that humans adapted to meat.

Geoff