From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 01:15:31 +0100
From: "Thomas Bridgeland" >
> I wonder, Ray, how much of our genetic background was in the shadow of
> the glaciers> The zone just south of the glaciers would have been chilly,
but from
> what I understand, true tropical and sub tropical areas were not much
> cooler than they are today, certainly not cold enough to freeze solid
> in the winter. Most of human history, and most of our genetic
> adaptation would be to tropical climates, and to tropical foods,
> including the lean tropical animals.

We're talking Texas, southern Europe, North Africa, the Mediterranean basin
( now filled with water) and large parts of Asia.  The effect of the much
larger ice caps would have resulted in katuba winds producing much more
severe (but shorter) winters than these areas have today.  An effect similar
to today's lake effect would have produced much wetter weather for the rest
of the year resulting in millions of permafrost lakes and lush grasslands.
Seasonal migration would have extended the range of megafauna somewhat but
this permafrost region inhibited the growth of trees ( as did low CO2
levels) to the point where Pleistocene grasslands far exceeded the area
covered in modern grasslands ( according to ancient pollen studies).

Although hominids evolved in tropical areas, humans are temperate animals
( megafauna hominids).  This is evidenced by our lack of immunities to
tropical diseases tolerated by tropical primates such as Herpes B and HIV
and parasites such as malaria and tetse fly.

Here in Dallas it's near tropical for most of the year ( and damn hot in
July) but in winter when the North wind blows it can get really cold and
icy.  Locals say there's nothing between here and the North Pole but one
strand of barbed wire - and it's been blown down!

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin"
www.NeanderThin.com