From:
caroline radway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 19:17:06 -0000
Hi

I haven't received the book yet but know the principles and am currently
transforming my Atkins into Palaeo (sorry - English spelling, I'm studying
anthropology so cant help it!).  I must say I'm very excited about getting
rid of the cheese and cream and sugar free jelly that helped me survive that
in favour of nuts and fruit - that rubbish is obviously not good for you.
Anyway, heres quite a few questions, I'd really appreciate any advice!  We
are so behind in the UK - everyone thinks I'm going mad!

1.  Any views on protein powder?  I know its sooo processed but in a fairly
pure way, perhaps?  I have just discovered it and its so much easier to make
a smoothie than eat eggs every morning (delicious - protein powder, coconut
milk, berries, nuts, ice!  please tell me its good!!)

2.  And what about coconut milk?  According to the author of The Diet Cure
its a wonderfood!

3.  Supplements?  Spent £52 on them today - super multi, extra Bvits, C,
minerals plus amino acids - L-tyrosine, L-phenylaline, L-glutamine and a
thermogenic formual with L-carnitine.  Also recommended in the diet cure
book.  Felt like I should've bought much less but couldn't reisit the urge
to see if the aminos work and the rest just seems sensible as I dont want
osteoporosis (I do lots of weights though).

4.  Total carbs?  How many carbs can people get away with (given that I'm
trying to lose my last, very stubborn 7-10lb).  Does all the obsessive carb
counting become unnecessary when its nuts, fruit etc or do you still have to
watch it?

5.  Canned fish?  Is this ok?  I'm a student so its easier on the quickly
wearing out pocket and dead convenient - sardines / tuna etc.

6.  Dairy?  Is goats, sheeps stuff an alternative?  Or best to avoid
totally?

7.  Raw meat?  I know in theory its great, but I cant bring myself to trust
it raw unless I've shot it myself!  (Not that I ever have...) I do eat steak
rare but heard that the reason steak tartare is illegal (over here at least)
is because the harmful bacteria live on the surface, hence rare is ok but
raw is dodgy.  I would love to start but am definitely a bit concerned (I
suppose BSE and now foot and mouth dont help matters!)

There, thankyou so much if you have read this far!  Any answers would be
greatly appreciated.

Caroline Radway

ps I have a whole anthropology library at my daily disposal, if that is
useful to anyone!