From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 11:34:16 -0600
Thomas Bridgeland wrote:

>> Learning how to feed populations locally, with low-resource-cost
>> paleo foods, IS the "diet of the future" in my opinion.
>

> I think that is the way things are trending. Maybe not local food, but
> maybe lower resource cost food anyway. One way this is happening is
> with new GM crops. You can decide for yourself if THAT is a good thing
> or not....  ;--)

When transportation costs rise, local food will be cheaper than
food trucked the average 1400 miles from farm to table.  And we won't
be eating strawberries from Chile in midwinter (unless we're CEOs
or something).  We'll be eating food that grows where we are, and
in season, like paleo peoples.

Most of the GM crops are engineered to tolerate
a heavy dose of herbicide (such as Roundup) that would kill a non-GM crop.
More pesticides on our crops rather than less, and thus more expense
to the farmer from the pesticide and the more expensive seed.
We're trying to fool Mother Nature with these high-tech, high-petroleum
solutions, and it won't last.  Eventually the production of human food
will be back on a pay-as-you-go basis, as it was during the 2m years
before industrial agriculture.

Off the soapbox for now......... hopefully, not too far off-topic.

    Lynnet