From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 19:18:43 -0400
On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Mary wrote:

> But this irritability is completely different-- comes on strongly and
> suddenly with great force, it did not come on like this before I started a
> meat and fat diet. Now there are 20 to 30 outbursts a day. Five minutes
> later, he is ok, then you never know what will cause the next one...
>
> It's almost like mercury toxicity or something, very strong and very scary.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Too much protein? Fats cooked
> too much?  Too much salt from pork rinds? Or what? I am about to give up
> this diet!
>
> Did anyone else feel extremely irritable/teary eyed/uncontrollable
> outbursts,  on meat/fat diet?

Mary, here is a guess:  I think that the problem may be low blood
sugar, causing an increase in adrenal activity, activating the
"fight or flight" response.

With paleo and other low-carb diets, we try hard to keep blood
glucose levels low, so that insulin levels will not rise.  I think
it is possible that in some people, blood glucose levels can
occasionally fall *too* low on this kind of a diet.  I have no
idea whether this is a matter of individual variability or
something more systematic.  To speculate: if the diet makes
extensive use of saturated fat, and saturated fat increases
insulin resistance, and ketones also stimulate insulin release,
then insulin levels could become elevated, pushing blood glucose
levels *way* down.

I have experienced some symptoms of increased adrenal activity
while on a ketogenic diet recently, such as hot flashes and
palpitations.

But this is sheer conjecture.

Todd Moody