From:
James Crocker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 22:30:59 -0600
Congratulations Ray!

I hate to be a copy cat but Todd pretty much mentioned all the important
points I was going to for the new edition of Neanderthin, as shown below.

I practice calorie restriction, but I don't think it necessarily belongs
in the new book.  In todays society, calorie restriction seems as foreign
to paleo dieters as a diet without bread and milk seems to the average
American.  Especially in a wealthy, modernized society food is very
plentiful and easy to get with little effort.  I enjoy drawing
similarities and speculating on the possible CR aspects of real paleo
life, but obviously most paleo dieters aren't into it.  Lots of people
want to eat what tastes good, and in as large quantities as they like,
regardless of the possible paleolithic implications.

Anyway, the biggy would be that the classic Neanderthin diet (that is, IF
it is supposed to be low carb) may not adequately represent the entire
spectrum of paleolithic diets, both in time and geography.

Todd Moody wrote:

>[snip]... you should
>emphasize the importance of there being a *range* of
>possibilities within the paleo paradigm, and that it is important
>to experiment to find what works.  For example, although most
>implementations will be low-carb compared to average civilized
>diets, people will need to discover their own optimal fuel mix.
>
>You will definitely need to look at the issue of w-3 fats, the
>importance of which is only now coming to be undersood.
>
>I strongly suggest a bit more caution in the interpretation of
>the 1928 Bellevue experiment.

James Crocker
"The future cannot be predicted, but futures can
 be invented." - Dennis Gabor