Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2007 20:32:44 -0400
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:36:43 -0400, Tom Bri <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Humans were I am sure very efficient hunters, but that does not
> necessarily
> mean that all kills were quick. I suspect that for large game an animal
> was
> often wounded from ambush and then chased down. Humans don't have to run
> fast, just relentlessly.

Don't have to run at all, if they were bright enough to dig a hole and put
some sharp sticks in the bottom.
Running after animals is for losers. Now running away is another thing
altogether.

Note the World Heritage site, "Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump". Little
running required; more like jumping and shouting.

> Reading a book now about Australia. A favored means of hunting was to
> burn
> off patches and kill animals fleeing the fire. Fire is terrifying to
> nearly
> all animals.

Yes, and terrified animals would not be looking to see the disguised holed.