From:
Dianne Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 20:20:26 -0700
At 09:42 PM 3/1/01 -0500, Millers wrote:
>At 06:22 PM 3/1/01 -0500, you wrote:
>>Beyond that, worry about it.  I think that what is cooked vs. what is raw
>>... is one of the most important determinants of health, for most people.
>
>Huh?  Oh, god, am I supposed to be eating this stuff RAW?

IMnsHO, it's better to eat as much stuff in it's natural state as possible
(e.g., a salad rather than a pile of cooked veggies).  I also think quality
is a good thing.

However, I also think there are some things, like chicken, I'll probably
never be able to eat raw--I have a thing about certain textures...  I'll
eat sashimi at a decent Japanese restaurant, I'll eat some good steak raw
to very rare.  I cook my pork, my chicken, and all the "fresh" fish I've
found around here thus far...

One step at a time, and stop when you're uncomfortable.  Just getting away
from processed stuff is a major step.  Getting away from things like
grains, dairy, etc. is also a very good step for a lot of us.  Eating as
much as you can raw helps a lot, too, because you get all the enzymes,
which help you actually absorb the nutrients in the food much better...

If you want to cook everything, cook it minimally as possible.  Everyone's
different--at least a little--in what they're able to tolerate both
physically and psychologically.  Sometimes it's being on the road that's
important, not reaching the end!

Dianne