From:
Erik Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 17:11:42 -0700
Actually, I wanted to bring this up.

D'Adamo likes to use stories in his books about people who have recoverred from
various ails by changing their diets.  Fine -- I would like to point out that
anyone with undiagnosed food allergies might stand to benefit from any dietary
change which happens to eliminate their particular food allergens.  Since wheat
is a common food allergen, and is eliminated in all of D'Adamo's diets, I
believe, I could see why so many people stand to improve.  But it brings up an
interesting question -- D'Adamo states that since different people lived in
different environments for long periods of time, they adapted to different
diets.  This is similiar to the paleo-dieting concept in general, except the
paleo-dieting concept seems to treat all humans as a single group, whereas
D'Adamo's concept seems to break us up into various groups based on our
particular dietary past.  The crux of this depends on just how long it takes to
adapt to a particular diet.  Any thoughts on this?  Should we be including our
particular dietary ancestry (for example, Europeans have a shorter exposure to
grain than Middle Easterners) in guiding our food choices?  I've seen this idea
touched upon, but never really gone into.  By the way, I don't buy the
blood-type, dietariy ancestory corelation at all.

Erik