From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2008 14:16:19 -0700
Hi Ashley,

> But salad?  Salad is virtually all water and fibre.  I'm sure
> most salad is less than 1% digestible carbs.  How much plant
> food do you have to eliminate on a ketogenic diet?

Just like the Inuit, virtually all carbs are eliminated. There is, of
course, some stored glycogen in muscle meats, so it can not be said to
be completely carb free.

> > I do. I want fewer fats and more carbs. In the winter that reverses.
>
> That's strange, I'm the other way round.

In cold weather, fats are better at keeping me warm. They last longer.
I feel better, which is probably why I want more fats then.

> > Well, the diet won't kill the tumour. It only slows growth to the
> > point where the immune system may (or may not) be able to
> keep up. In
> > the human and animal cases I've read about the growth was slowed in
> > some, stopped in others, and complete remission occurred in others.
> > The remissions may have been the immune system's work, but
> if so, why
> > did the immune system fail to catch and destroy the cancer cells
> > before they had developed into a tumour?
>
> Possibly it's just the cells naturally dying off as they lack
> food to reproduce?  Maybe the immune system is not involved.
> I'd love to know the answer.
There was an article in the Times magazine about some current clinical
trials of the ketogenic diet in very advanced cancer patients. Although
the study is not complete, results so far are very promising. I'd be
happy to send you a copy in a private email if you, or anyone else is
interested.

Best Wishes,
Ron